Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Welp, it was a pretty good Thanksgiving, despite the no dinner with family thing. Patrick and I did a darn good job of making dinner. First, I made a pumpkin pie, which I was very excited about cause I love pie.
The crust turned out particularly good, but for some reason I am just good at making crusts. They always seem to turn out well, or maybe it's just because I'm comparing it mostly to store bought crusts, which are... horrible. The actual filling I need to work on it seems. Kind of bland... Oh well. Will work on a new one later. Then we did the actual dinner: Patrick made the turkey and gravy, and I made the mashed potatoes and dressing. We used a boat load of rosemary, thyme, and garlic in everything. We actually bought that Costco tub of garlic cloves a while back- where they are all nicely peeled and everything- and it has been amazing. They are finally starting to go south, and we are about half through it. But we've used like at least 8 cloves per dish since we've bought it. And we used like 20 cloves in Thanksgiving dinner. Highly recommend the giant tub o' garlic cloves from Costco.
The mashed potatoes were half homemade, half potato flakes in a bag, which turned out great actually. We had two leftover potatoes that we needed to use, but didn't really want to buy more for Thanksgiving mash, so I just made those two and added two packs of the instant mash, a ton of garlic, and rosemary and thyme. Pretty darn good, cause it still tasted homemade with a chunk of real potato every now and then, but super easy. The dressing was also packaged, but we made it extra special by making it with chicken stock rather than water, and of course adding all the leftover garlic, rosemary, and thyme... trend? hhaha. But it tasted awesome. That chicken stock really made that taste great. Oh ya, we used a lot of half and half in stuff like the mash and the gravy, cause we bought a whole pint of it, when I only needed about a cup for the pie. So, overall, a highly fattening, artery clogging Thanksgiving success.

We ate our scrumptious dinner and watched our Seahawks lose... I was even wearing an XL Seahawks sweater in their honor. (a free band sweatshirt is a free band sweatshirt- no complaints.) Then we watched our Netflix movie, which was the 2005 version of The Producers. Disappointing. Gene Wilder is just so much better at Leopold Bloom than Matthew Broderick. Got nothin against Broderick, but he is no Wilder. I think we gave it 2 stars on the Netflix rating...

Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day!!!!

1 comment:

Mellisa said...

Yum!! I love it when you make food posts! :)