We had our first real concert of the tour, which was in the city of Villavicencio. It is a fairly small city, and I am pretty sure this was the first classical music experience for a lot (if not most) of the audience. It was an outdoor concert, with the orchestras on a stage that was covered with a tent, which made for a few exciting moments. For example, it is the rainy season here in Colombia, so it has rained (and by rain, I mean downpour) every day at least once since we've been here. So, of course, after we got there and get all set up in our tents in the back, the downpour came. This rain was not kidding around. We all huddled together in the tent and all of the strings scrambled to get their instruments and off of the ground. We were a bit worried that the concert would have to be canceled, because the backup plan- a church next door- would have barely fit the orchestras, and definitely wouldn't have fit the audience. Also I was worried that the rain would drive our audience away, because everyone scrammed once it started raining. But, fortune would have it that the rain stopped in time for both YOA and FJC orchestras to still fit in their sound checks before the regularly scheduled concert time. This was FJC's first ever concert, and I think it went really well. Their repertoire is a bit contemporary and isn't as flattering for a sprouting orchestra, and definitely was lost on this audience, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and think they are going to have a very strong program.
We didn't get back to the hotel until about 11:30 or 12:00, so I quick scarfed down a fast dinner, then headed back to my room to finish packing and get a few hours of sleep before it was time to get on the bus to start the tour proper.
I got three hours of sleep, then had to load the bus at 5:00 am. I immediately busted out my travel blanket and tried to get some more sleep. Many of the musicians stayed up partying and it showed on a few of them... After a few hours of driving we made it to the place that we were stopping for breakfast, where I had scrambled eggs, bread, arepas, and coffee. We had to be fairly quick with the breakfast because it wasn't a very big restaurant, and the buses were only spaced out 15 minutes apart. I got back on the bus, and I finished the book that I was reading on my Kindle- "Fool's Fate", of the Tawny Man series. Mom got me that series for Christmas last year, and I didn't start it until recently, but I liked it so much that I downloaded it on my Kindle so that I could easily take it with me on the trip to finish. Next I think I'm going to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which I have heard a lot of people really like. I slept a bit more on the bus too, until we made it to the place where we were stopping to have lunch and watch the World Cup Final. This hotel that we stopped at was HUGE and beautiful, and I am kind of jealous that we are not staying here. The food was delicious (and there was way too much of it for just lunch- we seriously had 4 kinds of meat, a potato, a plantain, salad, and a fig for dessert). After eating, we went down to a conference room that was reserved for us to watch the World Cup Final- with a huge projection on the wall of the tv. It was a very cool environment to watch the game in, even though I don't know much about soccer, and wasn't particularly rooting for anyone in particular. I think most of the orchestra was rooting for Spain, but there were a few people who were for the Netherlands. One of our guest artists is from Spain, so this was a pretty big deal for him.
The game was pretty boring for me, but it got exciting in the last few minutes, when Spain FINALLY made a goal and the game ended. We had a snack of empanadas (we eat so much here!) then got back on the bus for the final hour or so drive to Ibague. After unloading all of the luggage, I made it up to my room to lay everything out that I needed... and I noticed that I DIDN'T HAVE MY CAMERA. I searched all of my bags frantically, then went downstairs to ask one of the staff from the other orchestra (all in Spanish, mind you, so communication was a bit of a problem) if someone could open the bus to let me see if I left it there. At first I understood that someone was going to come down to meet me and unlock the bus, but after waiting for a while I tried asking again, and then understood that they didn't have the key now, but the bus was safe and locked, and would be able to open it for me in the morning. Not quite what I was hoping for- I can't remember leaving it there, and am hoping that it's there, but I really just wanted the reassurance that I knew with certainty that it was there.
Ok, it's bed time for bonzo. Today was a very tiring day, even all I did was sit on a bus and sit at a hotel and eat... Was a long long day. And I am still anxious about my camera...
No comments:
Post a Comment