Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 37 & 38 - Lima

Welcome to country number 3 of my 4-country tour!!! We arrived in Lima, Peru on August 1st- the best month of the year! August has my birthday, my anniversary, my parents' anniversary, my sister's wedding, and Patrick's birthday, as well as being just an awesome summer month anyway.

Well, August is not so summery in Peru. In fact, it is winter here. Cold, bleary, gray winter. But that's ok. I FINALLY got to do some touristy things, thanks to the presenter here in Lima, who set up the orchestra with a great night-lights city tour of Lima on an open-air bus, and a tour of some ancient ruins and a horse show the next day. It was an amazing treat, and I am so glad that I finally got to take a break from constantly working.

I got to try some REAL cerviche here in Peru- not just that salsa-tasting shrimp stuff they fed us in Quito. This is serious raw fish, and it tastes like it. It's really good, but something that I am having to work myself up to appreciate.


Here's us on the top of the tour bus, in FREEZING Lima. It was really cold, but we were having such a good time that we forgot about it after a while. The air here is really moist, so the coldness really sticks to you, which makes it that much more freezing.




There was something historically exciting about the preservation of these balcony windows. That was the extent I understood, so I took a picture.



We went to a BEAUTIFUL "Water Park", which was not a water park at all, if you're thinking slides and wave pools. It was a park that had 13 fountains, all with some cool characteristic, like cool colored lights, one that was an archway you could walk under, another was a circle that would stop long enough for people to walk inside and be surrounded by the fountain when it started up again, and the coolest one, that was basically a means to project a laser light show on, complete with soundtrack. It was awesome.






Today we went on another tourist attraction- the Pachacamac ruins, followed by a horse show and typical Peruvian lunch. It was an awesome time, and I have a lot of great pictures, but I am pretty tired from a really REALLY long event that I just got back to the hotel from, so I will have to let the pictures speak for themselves. Maybe I'll be able to elaborate more on it all later.






No comments: