Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 50 - Travel Day to Rio

The concert last night was really unexpected.  The entrance was free, so we knew it would be a popular concert, but it was also in Araraquara, which didn't seem to have a ton going on in it.  When we pulled up to do our sound check an hour and a half before the concert, there was already a line wrapped around the building of people trying to get in.  There were so many people that they had to add chairs to the back of the hall, behind the orchestra on stage, and STILL there were more people, so they added video feeds and projectors to the lobby and set up still more chairs for people to watch from the lobby.  And it was PACKED.  They absolutely loved us and didn't want to leave after it finished, so several of the musicians played on after the concert was over, and people were dancing on stage and singing along.  It was a very cool night.

After the concert we got dinner, then drove back to the hotel.  I will be VERY glad to be back on a schedule when I eat dinner BEFORE midnight, and can be in bed at a reasonable hour too.  This is really tough.  Departure today was at 8:30, so I just went straight to bed.  After a quick breakfast, we loaded the buses for the 9-hour bus ride to Rio de Janeiro.  It actually went faster than I was expecting.  I listened to old-school 1up and GFW podcast episodes... They are podcasts by videogame journalists, and these guys are hilarious.  These are also from 2007, but they are my favorites, so it was fun to listen to them again.  I was cracking up by myself in my own little world.  I am sure the people around me thought I was insane.  Hahaha.

We made it to the hotel in Rio around 9 and had dinner, then walked around the area a little bit.  The neighborhood we're in is a little sketchy, with bums, lots of graffiti, and gross smelling alleys, but me, Ana, and Stella walked with a group of a bunch of guys so we were all good and safe.  We found a pub place that served Chopp (draft beer) and chatted over a glass or two.  Was a pretty chill night.  Tomorrow I will go see Cristo Redentor which is going to be awesome.  It is our last concert tomorrow too.  Can't believe it is almost over.  Going to get some shut eye before I have to get up to go see the statue, but expect great pics up soon from my excursions!  I already uploaded the ones from today, but there wasn't a ton to see...  Still, check um out:

From YOA Tour - Brazil

No comments: