Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bridesmaid Adventures!

As a bridesmaid for our friends Jessica and Steve's wedding, I had the opportunity to do some serious dress hunting. The challenge: find a pink dress that fits me well, in a flattering shade of pink, that is chic enough to be suitable for such a cool and trendy couple. Thankfully, the bride was much more helpful with links to suggested dresses than I was on my own shopping in the department stores. This blog post revisits some of those horrible horrible dresses that I tried on in the search for The One... Enjoy!

First off, I hit up Banana Republic. Slim pickings for pink dresses. This mauve one did have cool knots on the shoulders, but otherwise just looked like a potato sack, and the color was pretty terrible on me.




















After striking out at a few other stores, I found these two pink dresses at Macy's. The first, not terrible, but too matronly. I could have been Jessica's mom in that thing. (I have not met Mrs. Jessica's Mom, and do not mean to slight her fashion sensibilities. I merely wanted to state that this was a cute mother-of-the-bride dress, and not so hot for the bridesmaid.)




So after striking out there, I went the online order route, based upon Jessica's tasteful suggestions:


These Nordstrom dresses were cute for sure, but how would they look in real life on me? I just had to wait for them to arrive in the mail. Meanwhile, I checked out what Nordstrom Rack had to offer.

Lots of bright pinks available, but nothing really struck me off the hanger as being very pretty. But, sometimes you just have to try it on to see...

Nope. No, I was right. These dresses suck. And now, imagine some nice Yakety Sax in the background as I try on terrible pink dress after terrible pink dress at The Rack. In fact, here you go:
Boots Randolf - Yakety Sax by emoores


..give it a second to start...




























Wow. That was painful.

Well, thankfully, the Nordstrom's shipment arrived! Let's see how they look (read: PLEASE PLEASE LOOK GOOD OH MY GAWD I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP TRYING ON UGLY DRESSES)

Dress one:


I call this look Resignation. After so many awful options, I'm finally resigning myself to the fact that I am just going to be a damn eyesore of a bridesmaid. It has nice features, like the shiny material, and the cute-sey flowers around the neck, but the general shape of it was just not flattering on me at all.

Seriously- what kind of alien is this chick to be able to pull this dress off?


But, I have one more last chance. Let's see how this goes.



This one had very cool fabric that I liked a lot. Especially for its important trait of Concealing the Fattie.

But how will it look as a whole?

BLAM!









That's the happy Emma face. You can tell I like this one.

And check out the hawt shoes that Jessica picked out for the bridesmaids. They are a glitter bomb. I think they look great with the whole ensem.
All in all, despite trying on failure after failure of dresses, I am very happy with the one I've decided on, and can not WAIT to rock it down the aisle for Jessica and Steve's big day! Patrick and I leave for Seattle next weekend; we'll get to see family, friends, and best of all: witness the marriage of two fantastic people. We can't wait!

No comments: