Image by bonacheladas via Flickr
I am done with the job hunt! I didn't want to post anything prematurely in case I would jinx it, but I got the offers, and made my acceptances, so I guess I can say that it's official now!
I'll be the Development and Marketing Officer for Youth Orchestra of the Americas, starting January. They are a small organization; I'll be their fourth staff member, and they have an intern. It was really interesting that I even got a job with this organization, because there wasn't even a job posting listed. I just happened to submit my resume and cover letter and inquire just at the same time that they were looking into expanding their development efforts. I am so lucky to have this opportunity to start my career, especially when unemployment is still high and the economy is slow.
I said "offers" above for a reason too: I also accepted a part time position that will take up my Monday, and some Tuesday evenings, as well as concerts on some Sundays. I'll be the operations manager for Youth Orchestras of Prince William. I got this job in the same way as the other in that I just sent them my resume and cover letter to see if they were interested without having a position open. This job will be good to build some experience with management and operations, but mostly will be a good way for me to keep connections to musicians and expand my networks in the orchestra world.
I also just finished classes- HOORAY! I had my last day of class Thursday, and had a final and a paper to submit over email, which I am now done with! The final isn't actually due until Thursday, but since I am heading home to Seattle tomorrow morning, I decided to crank everything out and submit it today so that I don't have to worry about getting internet and stuff at home. Plus, Professor Kamenitzer said that he would appreciate it if it was done earlier since he doesn't have long to grade two classes worth of papers.
So that means I am officially done with my Masters! The degree is officially mine (assuming I didn't fail my classes... hah) January 9th, and the ceremony isn't until the Spring. So technically, I got a job before I finished school, and will have started before I have even received my degree! Hahaha. I am proud of me, can you tell? hahaha.
Now I have to finish up packing and cleaning up the house as best as I can before I leave tomorrow for Seattle to see family! I'll be back before Christmas, where the family-fest will continue, as my parents and sister will come over as well as my sister and brother in law with their kids, and even my aunt's family in Baltimore! Finally my Christmas decorations will be justified! Although I would still totally deck the halls even if I was home by myself. I love Christmas!
![Reblog this post [with Zemanta]](http://img.zemanta.com/reblog_e.png?x-id=25ebb9e1-7fe5-4e5e-825d-3e88851015b2)
1 comment:
Emma! Congratulations on everything! Master's degree is a great accomplishment and it is super awesome that you got two jobs.
Also, can't wait to see you this week. I hope your flight over goes smoothly.
Post a Comment