Monday, July 5, 2010

Villavicencio - Day 10

Goodness gracious, where has the time gone? We're already on day 10 of the tour! (I don't want to think about how many days there are still left, but day 10 seems like a big number.)

Today I spent the morning and early afternoon getting the last steps of the visa process taken care of. We collected the last of the passports, I figured out how to print out other people's visa application forms, so we got the last 10 that we needed that way, and we taped all of the visa pictures to their forms. We made copies of all of the passports, folded the visa forms nicely and put them inside their corresponding passport, and alphabetized and put a rubber band and label on all of the passports. They are now in the care of our Tour Manager, which is good, but I won't feel quite at ease until they are back in the hands of the person they belong to. Lost passports are NOT something I want to deal with.

Enough work talk though- I may have lots of responsibilities and stuff to get done on behalf of the orchestra, but I am in a beautiful resort, surrounded by new cultures, customs, and foods, and that is what is more interesting. For example, the BUGS. At first, I was extremely grossed out by the bug situation; there are bugs EVERYWHERE! Especially at night, when the hotel staff stops mopping the walkways every 5 minutes. But, the more I have been around these (mostly disgusting) creatures, the more I am able to appreciate the beauty in them. Or at least some of them. I will kill every spider that makes it into my room, but check out these ones:

They are quite beautiful when you get a closer look! (Side note: I have been very impressed with my little point-n-shoot camera as well. I've taken some pretty badass shots, if I do say so myself.)

Yesterday and tonight we've been having chamber concerts, where small groups who have been putting together pieces on their own time perform for us and anyone in the hotel.

It has been a great way to showcase our musicians' talents, give them more experience playing for audiences, help the musicians get to know eachother better, and give something back to the hotel, which has been a wonderful site for this Residence.

Apparently I got burnt this morning- Stella and I sat outside for breakfast (for a whole 20 minutes) and I was wearing a sleeveless blouse. I could tell the sun was strong, but I didn't think I was out there long enough to burn. Apparently I was wrong. It's not a bad burn- definitely just a warning shot that has convinced me to wear more sunscreen every day and carry a tube of it on me at all times.


Hopefully that is the last of the sunburning situation. I hate sunburns.

Goodnight everyone! Stay tuned for more posts and pictures tomorrow!

No comments: