---Thursday---
It was really comforting to be able to talk to him in person for once, and it was great to be able to do some tourist activities with him. We don't get to go on enough real vacations together, so for now, this is our time to explore different countries together. It was perfect timing for him to come actually, because for most of the Tour I am busy with work every day - all day. Here in DF though, not only was there a free day where we got to go see the pyramids of Teotihuacan, but I was also more free during regular days to just hang out and see Mexico with him. He got in in time to see the first concert of YOA in Mexico City and meet many of the musicians.
---Friday---
Stella got our bus drivers to work on their day off and take us to the pyramids, so a large group of about 70 people all pitched in 100 pesos each to pay the drivers to take us there on our day off. Considering the complications that would have been involved if we had to all arrange our own transport, it was a pretty sweet deal for us - less than $10 USD. Though the bus ride was really long (2 1/2 hours each way) it was still a great trip. The weather held out for us, and I even got a little sunburned in the end. The pyramid was pretty steep, and I was very out of breath by the time I made it to the top, but we just took it easy and enjoyed the view and hung out until we could catch our breath.
I thought going down was going to be more difficult, but as long as I kept my balance by holding on to the cable on the way down, it was pretty easy.
Friday night Stella, Maria, Patrick, and I went to Coyoacán, which is a very nice district with fancy restaurants, mercados, and a lovely park. The weather stopped cooperating by then, and it was absolutely dumping rain on us. We took refuge in the nearest restaurant and drank some margaritas and had tiramisú (an interesting combination...)
We eventually found a fantastic restaurant that had mescal tasting and real Mexican cuisine. It was on the expensive side, but was a fantastic experience anyway.
---Saturday---
One of my only work commitments Saturday was a meeting with our Board member who was hosting a luncheon on Sunday after the concert. Nina and I went to the Board member's mother's house in the Mixcoac district. Her house was really sweet- the family is German, so it is like a little Bavarian oasis in the middle of a busy city. After that, we had the rest of the afternoon free until the concert in the evening, so we went out in search of a market - we ended up going to a Mercado in a completely different part of the city. The cab driver we had on the way there was especially chatty, so I got a lot of good practice with my Spanish. Once we got there, we checked out some of the artisan crafts, and I did a poor job of haggling in Spanish. We then checked out the street food, which Patrick and I were both very much looking forward to. We got pork and beef tacos, and delicious tortas.
---Sunday---
Patrick had to leave Sunday morning so he could go back to work on Monday. The concert Sunday afternoon went great, and after the concert the musicians loaded up the buses for the 6-hour ride to Tuxpan. Nina, Mark, and I had a fancy luncheon to go to, to solicit potential sponsors for fundraising, which was in a beautiful restaurant called San Angel Inn. The food was absolutely exquisite, but since I had to be on my game and pitching the orchestra, I didn't end up eating very much of the cream of spinach soup, or the duck in blackberry sauce, or the fancy cream and espresso cake... Luckily, the people I were talking to were very receptive to the idea of supporting the orchestra, so I didn't miss out on an amazing dinner in vain. The three of us went back to the hotel, which all of a sudden seemed extremely quiet, empty, and creepy. I didn't have 78 musicians to say hi to by name and ask how their day has been. And I didn't have Patrick there beside me. ---Monday---
Today the three of us catch a public bus to Tuxpan (which should be interesting...). I am looking forward to being around a lot of people that I know and who know me.
Tuxpan is supposed to be much warmer, but we won't be in nearly as nice of a hotel and there won't be nearly as interesting restaurants and shopping to go to, but it will be an experience anyway.
On to Tuxpan!
1 comment:
You write so eloquently and this is the best blog ever. I love your pictures. Wow, you have a great life haha:) ...and your outfits are amazing. You're the coolest.
Post a Comment